Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Alfred Hitchcock, Philanthropy and Multi-Tasking



Walking outside my house I feel as if Alfred Hitchcock's 1963 Birds has been replaced with robins.

I can't help but notice the flittering nervousness as my feet pound the concrete sidewalk. Running down the street in, finally, decent weather the robins seem to emerge then frantically hide themselves. Disturbing branches and dried leaves everywhere.

I understand winter migration, but these birds appeared from nowhere (or just arrived from the frozen north) in the last few days. It isn't spring, so no proliferation takes place. I suppose it's worth taking time selecting a mate when the weather is warming and the sun shining.

I just hope they don't attack me during a jog for coming into too close contact with their air space. Perhaps I can get a regulation "no fly zone" over my jog path aimed specifically at robins? The FAA seems to like strange laws and granting limited air space.

---------------------------------------------
Must one be independantly wealthy prior to adding "philanthropist" to one's description? I've been toying the idea of getting involved, more than sending money to my various favorite causes, lately and wonder if I have enough time/resources to do so. I must, mustn't (?) I?
Listening to NPR early mornings while trying to coax my almost 6 month old back into dreamland I feel an undeniable urge to do something. Too many people leave their homes for work only to (rightly) fear never returning. Bombs explode daily, killing dozens, sometimes hundreds of civilians instantly. You'd be hard pressed to find an Iraqi who hasn't lost a friend and/or family member to one of these violent killings. Civialians. You know, like you and me -- unless "you" are a member of the armed forces in one way or another. In that case, thank you.
Others are only granted two hours of electricity a day. TWO HOURS! I just clicked off my backlight in response to that. I don't need it, I just like it. Wasteful because I can be.
How many children are starving or not immunized or homeless? How many are needlessly suffering? How many can get no education or are fearful day in and day out of being trafficked? How many are abused?
Sure, I could preach about all the injustice in the world, but plenty of people already do that. Some quite well. I'm not a 4am infomercial. I'm not a blown horn. I'm just concerned and want to do something.
Donations, money are both good things. I do that already. I'd like to devote time. Effort. Make an impact rather than just get a receipt.
------------------------------------------------------
Do you think multitasking is really worth it? Ok, let me clarify. Multitasking IS worth it. Multitasking devices are not. Not in my opinion. They're distracting. Often necessary, always distracting.
I read an article this morning telling how multitasking is a good thing, the devices are wonderful for what they allow, and the methods of measuring productivity should be changed. Sure. But if we can't turn off ever. Is it really worth having the latest camera phone/pda/email/phone/video/texting device? I need some down time.
I also read/heard a report about companies moving toward regulating the times they'll contact employees. Many are being burnt out by working every time the *ping* goes off on their camera phone/pda/email/phone/video/texting devices. They can't ever turn off they're looking for other jobs.
Is your company ruthless about Blackberry use? If the company funds your Blackberry usage do they have the right to contact you via email/txt/phone whenever including weekends?
What are your thoughts on multitasking devices and the amount of time you spend using them?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home